Saturday, December 20, 2008

Market Season Comes to an End

Well, it's sad but true....today was the last holiday market of the year and the City Tailgate Market won't start up again until next April. It was a bittersweet feeling I had as I pulled out of the parking lot on Charlotte Street. Okay, so I can "sleep in" next Saturday like normal people (sleeping in with a 13 month old is about 8:30, but still...)but I adore selling my lovely pastries at the market. The feedback on my work is immediate in most cases, as potential customers let their eyes caress the fanciful swirls of frosting and nutty, doughy or sticky goodness depending on what floats their fancy. It has definitely been an ego boost. I'll miss also my regular customers who stand at my table and goad passersby into investing in their particular favorite, be it Tiramisu, S'More cupcake or buttermilk scone. I've met their out-of-town relatives, new dogs and sugar-loving friends throughout the course of the year.
I tried to focus on some more holiday-ish items this week, such as truffle boxes, gingerbread people all uniquely decorated, Brioche braids and Stollen, which I wish I would've made 10 more of , there was such a great reaction to it. Some people can't imagine a holiday without it and others have never heard of it, but are drawn to the powdered sugar topping and the candied and dried fruit filling. My truffles were lavender, green tea Both with dark chocolate and then a milk chocolate rolled in cinnamon and cocoa. So I now will focus on a new menu, organizing the business, marketing to some local restaurants, cafes and coffee shops and story time with my daughter at the library. And looking forward to Spring....

No comments: