Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Taking a Break from Cupcakes? Or, How I spent my Vacation at the Vet

Well we had big plans for a fun family vacation at the beach this week. Soundfront house with a pool, maybe some kayaking, definitely some lounging and frolicking in the surf. I was looking forward to some free babysitting from B's aunt, grandparents and cousins and perhaps (gasp!) a date with my husband! But as the time to pack it up and go approached, I completely talked myself out of it. Driving to the Outer Banks on July 4th weekend?? How crazy is that? And with a toddler whose moods change from sunny to Defcon 5 in a mere moment! We promised we'd plan an off-season beach adventure and take this week to relax, clean..or so we thought. It started Monday morning when my cat started twitching uncontrollably and acting generally bizarre. We brought him into our Vet who diagnosed him with poisoning from the dogs' flea treatment. Who knew that Advantix is extremeley toxic to felines? So while Sebastian was recuperating at the hospital, our beagle was not eating, losing weight, depressed. It had actually been going on since the weekend, but I was hoping he'd shake it off in a couple of days. We brought him in and the Vet took some blood tests which came back not good. So we're waiting to see what exactly is wrong and Skeeter is now at the hospital and Sebastian is home. I'm so grateful we decided against going away or the poor petsitter would have had a horrible time and we'd be 10 hours away.

I have found time this week to work on a new menu. It's using some of the wonderful produce of the summer season and I hope to introduce some new flavors at the City Market in the next few weeks.

No comments: