Sunday, April 18, 2010

Getting back into the swing of things...

Wow. It's been awhile. Yes, I'm still in business and still kicking around Asheville with my little family. The winter here was long and cold, reminding me of childhood winters in Philadelphia. I simply love the snow in North Carolina because it's such an event. And it usually doesn't hang around for long. We dealt with the downtime by donating cupcakes to some great events like the Asheville Arts Council's Crystal Ball and more recently HATCHfest. We also started selling cupcakes, pastries and breads to the West Village Market on Haywood Rd. in West Asheville. However the debut of Spring was very welcome. Spring means that Market season has once again arrived and winter vacation is over. I go from full-time mama and part-time baker to baking 6 days a week and feeling a little overwhelmed. Luckily, it only took a day or so to get back into a routine.
Setting up at the Asheville City Market Saturday morning felt like the first day back at school after summer break. We are so blessed to be a part of such a vibrant community of farmers, bakers and craftspeople (I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating) and seeing these old friends was great. Fellow vendors were amazed at how Bea had grown (talking up a storm was a skill she has mastered over the winter) and I was equally amazed to see a vendor's 13 month son walking like a pro. We got to see many of our regular customers from last year, some of whom expressed how much they waited for this day and thought of my desserts all winter long! It was a wonderful day and really reminded me what I want this business to be about-connecting with people through food and getting to be responsible for a moment of joy in someone's day.

No comments: